Running Toward French
by Mary Elizabeth Aubé


by Mary Elizabeth Aubé

My toddler cousin spies the stairs and starts climbing them on knees and hands. It’s the hallway staircase in Memère and Pepère’s apartment building on Cedar Street in Lewiston, Maine. In the dimness, the broad varnished bannister gleams. Talking and laughter ricochet out through the open door from the kitchen full of aunts and uncles and cousins. The little boy and I are in the hall because he refuses to sit on any more laps.

It’s a long way up to the landing on the next floor and my fourteen-year-old certified babysitter-self wants my cousin to come back down before he falls. He senses my approach from behind and shrieks before I can grab him by the armpits. I try to convince him with a chirpy, “Stay down here, stay down here,” but I only speak English, and he only understands French. Glancing toward the kitchen, I spot his older sister, and call to her. She is seven, her head is covered in shiny brown ringlets, and she wears a pretty bouffant-skirted dress. She’ll save us from disaster. She can translate.

As I write this, so many years after that evening, the feelings are less raw but still there: frustration, anger, humiliation for my lack of linguistic skill—also admiration, and yes, jealousy for my bilingual cousin—and exclusion and separation from these people speaking French—my own kin. I wanted to be a part of that group in Memère and Pepère’s kitchen, erupting in laughter with them when someone told a joke, and tuning in to all of the conversations as my ears scanned the room. My aunts would translate for my mother and us four kids. But it wasn’t the same as hearing the jokes in real time, merging with the entire kitchen, instead of feeling on the sidelines, or in a soundproof booth, cluing into the action after a delay.

I was desperate to learn French, and this little scene would play itself over and over in my mind for years, not so much as a catalyst—I was already determined to learn French—more like a spur or an encouraging lash of the crop to a horse that has already left the starting gate.

We were gathered in my grandparents’ kitchen during one of my family’s visits from Cleveland, Ohio. Every five years or so, my parents, sister, two brothers, and I would take I-90 to just outside Boston and then head north to Maine. The spacious kitchens were the real living rooms in Lewiston’s apartments. Shiny painted walls and the linoleum floor amplified the voices and made movements into sound—the shifting of chairs, the footsteps, the settling of the old building’s beams.

This visit was in 1971 when the majority of Lewiston’s population was still French speaking, though most people were bilingual, including my grandfather, aunts, uncles, and cousins. An exception was Memère, who lived entirely in French: her postman, doctor, grocer, hairdresser, pharmacist, priests, and landlord all spoke French. Why learn English?

In Cleveland, on the other hand, how was I to learn French? My mother didn’t speak French, and in my case, “mother tongue” was no metaphor. I literally spoke the one language of my mother. It was hardly surprising in that time when women were the primary childcare givers, and in Cleveland where French speakers were few and far between, as indicated by, though perhaps not intentionally, the name of the best French restaurant in town, The Wagon Wheel— which, by the way, served excellent classic French cuisine.

My father had learned English only when he went to public high school—his life in Lewiston defined until then by the circle of his French-speaking family, neighborhood, and parish. In Cleveland, I would hear him speak French with his colleagues at the university where he taught French, and at the Maison Française, a cultural group. He spoke it with the local Blessed Sacrament fathers (also from Franco cities in New England), whom he knew from his days studying with them. He moved to Cleveland to attend their major seminary, left the order after several years, and spent the rest of his life in the city. There was also the long Christmas phone call that he had every year with my grandparents. One by one, my mother and siblings and I would get on the phone extension and say a few words. My grandfather would do most of the talking from Lewiston, though my grandmother would always chime in with “Merry Christmas” in her best English accent.

I did what I could to learn French. I remember climbing on my father’s lap with a picture book in French—I think of myself as being about two—and asking him to read it to me, hoping, I guess, to learn through the direct method of language learning. I didn’t understand a word, but I liked the sound—and certainly I liked my father’s lap. One summer, he signed me up for an experimental children’s language school that he had created. I was five and learned the colors and numbers and some songs in French. During the 1968 Winter Olympics in France, I rushed to get the cold crinkly Paris Match magazines from the mailbox. My translations, after hours at the dining room table flipping the pages in the bilingual dictionary, were leagues inferior to even the earliest of Google Translate’s. Though the full-page color photos of teen-idol-handsome ski champion Jean-Claude Killy spoke a language for which my adolescent self needed no translation, still, I wanted to understand the words.

Was I born with this love for French? There’s no doubt that I enjoy using languages. With a little practice, I could once again do cocktail party chit-chat in Spanish. My high school Latin still helps me analyze words, and I recently struggled to small successes in Anishinaabemowin. There’s a huge satisfaction in recognizing once-strange words that have become familiar, as if a veil over them had lifted, their sight and sound now clear and meaningful.

Throughout high school, I took French classes, majored in French in college, spent junior year in Paris, and felt I had reached my goal when a French woman who I chatted with in the university dining hall told me she thought I was French. All those years, the image of my ringlet haired cousin translating for me would come back and remind me of my goal.

One of our summer family trips included a visit to Quebec City and the Plains of Abraham, where the battle commanded by General Montcalm against the British decided that the majority of North America would be English-speaking. Inside the Citadel museum, passing from glass case to glass case containing tiny soldiers arrayed across multiple miniature battlefields to show the stages of the battle, I cried over the defeat of the French. I felt affronted and let down. If not for Montcalm’s defeat, all of North America might be French-speaking, including me! Self centered? Well, what’s the point of history if you don’t take it personally?

Memère remained unknown to me, a mystery, until at last, after my year studying in Paris, I was able to have conversations with her and my father, aunts, and uncles in French. Sometimes I still felt left on the sidelines and needed to ask questions and depend on help to understand as I built upon the academic, bureaucratic, and literary French I had learned so far, expanding it to include the French-Canadian accent and expressions, and my grandmother’s own usages. It felt natural. After all, I had been absorbing these sounds and rhythms on visits to Lewiston all my life.

Memère, I discovered, especially loved jokes and funny stories, whether listening to them or telling them. She anticipated the ending with a twinkling eye, then laughed her mix of a Chihuahua’s bark and a squelched howl, pushing up her glasses, dabbing at her eyes with a hanky, and blowing her nose. They were stories of people and their foibles, about people she knew or knew of, and full of precise details—who came down from Canada on a certain visit and where in the apartment the beds were made up for them; lists of children’s names from the first and second and third marriages of her grandfather, with groupings of the children according to the “lit” they were from. “Lit” (bed) being the place they were made, and the way they were classified in her memory.

After so many years of my grandmother being a blank to me, a stream of undifferentiated sound and a smile and a hug, she had a personality, and she had memories. I asked her if we might record her stories, and soon we began putting them on cassette tapes. I felt a connection and a complicity with her, and though I never asked her outright if she shared those feelings, I guess that she did, based on her attentiveness—stopping to carefully explain words and details when I must have looked doubtful—and the enthusiasm that she showed in generously spending time with me and giving me her stories.

You are what you eat, and you are what you speak. Two examples of flesh and blood survival by using language illustrate this existential formula. As a teenager I read an account of World War II—the novel or memoir has been fossilized into this one memory—in which a person is able to avoid being slaughtered by speaking a foreign language with a specific native accent. On the other side of the coin of language acquisition, a Franco acquaintance from a mill city in New England ran away as fast as he could from French when he was bullied for speaking it at school. He shed his ability to speak his family’s language practically overnight, and the loss persisted in adulthood. Language use can be aspirational: a choice of using it to go where you want to go, to be what you want to be. I wanted to be among the people getting the joke the first time, and at last I was.

In the documentary “Genetic Me,” about how our genes and our upbringing affect our behavior—part of the nature versus nurture debate, the journalist Lone Frank travels the world talking to leading neuroscientists about the possibility of changing her behavior. She has always suffered from anxiety and self-doubt. The final interview is with neuroscientist James H. Fallon, known for his work correlating brain physiology to the behavior of psychopaths. Frank tells him that the research for the film has led her to fear that she will never be fully rid of her disorder, her voice tinged with resentment towards nature for giving her this affliction. But there’s another way to look at it, the neuroscientist suggests. Without the pain Frank has suffered due to her disorder, Fallon says, she might never have felt the need to make this documentary, might never have made this journey of discovery about the mind, herself, and her world.

It’s this glass-half-full view that I have come to about French. There were times when, working hard to memorize French verbs and rework syntax, I felt sorry for myself for not having been able to grow up in French. I had been done wrong by General Montcalm and History! Like Frank in her documentary project, I was spurred on by this offense to go on my marathon of learning French. I realize that my life has been immeasurably enriched—indeed, largely defined—by my long run toward French: studying in Paris; discovering Francophone writers and artists and philosophers; being adopted by a bilingual country, Canada; making friends and a marriage and bringing up children in French; and being bedazzled by my grandmother’s stories.

For many years, I so immersed myself in French that I rarely read English novels. When I went back to reading them in earnest several years ago, there was a delicious shock from English that was similar to, though less intense than, the sensation I used to get from French—like going back to having a crispy fragrant apple at the end of your lunch after you have been packing oranges in your bag for a long time. I realized that one of the biggest attractions I had always felt for French was its foreignness, its resistance. Certainly I was drawn to Memère’s stories in part because they were in a language that I felt more intensely because it was and will always remain foreign. If we had not been strangers to each other due to language, if I had not felt the charm of knowing her through this language, would I have felt the urge and the urgency to get to know her through her stories? I will let what-might-have-beens—or not-have-beens—rest in peace like Montcalm.

Still, it would have been fun to get the jokes the first time around back in Memère and Pepère’s kitchen on Cedar Street.

Memère and I recorded her stories in 1981-1982 in Lewiston, Maine. She was eighty years old when we began.

One of my favorite stories tells how she and Pepère came to settle in Lewiston. I particularly cherish it for capturing the beginning of their lives together in the place where I knew them, and for the personal agency that my grandmother demonstrates. It appears below.

Memère and Pepère married in October, 1921, in Saint Cyprien, Quebec. Her sister, Angélina, and brother-in-law, Arthur Bazinet, drove to the wedding from Lewiston, where they owned a restaurant. After the wedding, Arthur Bazinet offered Memère and Pepère a lift to Lewiston. Previously, Memère had earned a teacher’s certificate and taught school in Sainte Justine and Saint Cyprien, which are neighboring villages. After that, she went to Lewiston and worked at the Bates Mill, then returned to Quebec where she did domestic work. Pepère had worked in the lumber camps.

Her narration has been edited for flow and clarity.

On a commencé notre voyage de noces à Québec. C’est là qu’Arthur Bazinet a dit à Pepère :

— Monte aux États-Unis plutôt que courir les chantiers. Venez donc à Lewiston faire un tour. Vous allez monter avec moi. Je vais t’employer, si tu veux, au restaurant. Vous aurez rien qu’à vous en revenir quand vous voudrez.

Mais c’était un homme qui n’avait pas de parole.

Il ne nous chargeait rien pour venir, hein? Ça fait qu’on a décidé de venir à Lewiston en voyage de noces, puis on a resté! On n’avait rien que des porte-manteaux. On a fait venir nos valises après.

Toujours, on n’avait pas de travail, ni l’un ni l’autre. Moi, j’avais travaillé au Bates, je connaissais là le boss. Mais ça ne travaillait pas. C’était un temps dull. Ça travaillait trois, quatre jours, les manufactures, c’est tout.

On a arrivé le dimanche, puis mercredi matin, j’ai rentré au Bates. J’avais attendu quelques jours après notre arrivée à Lewiston parce que c’est que j’avais été menstruée. Puis j’ai été voir mon ancien boss puis aussi le premier hand. C’est lui qui engageait le monde. C’était un M. Richardson. Il ne parlait pas français, pantoute. Mais il était fin, tu sais. Il comprenait quelques mots, puis il était fin. Toujours, il faisait sa tournée à matin de tous ses employés pour voir si chacun était en place pour son travail et puis tout.

Son assistant, qu’ils appelaient le second hand, c’était M. Caron. C’était encore le même du temps que j’y avais travaillas avant. C’était un homme d’un âge moyen. Et puis, il me voit :

— Ah, bonjour! Comment ça que tu reviens?

— Ah oui, je reviens mais je suis mariée.

Ça fait qu’il parle un peu avec moi, puis je dis :

— Je suis venue en voyage de noces ici à Lewiston, puis je viens passer pour voir si vous aviez de l’ouvrage.

— Pauvre petite fille, il dit, il y a du monde ici que ça voyage, ça fait trois semaines que ça voyage. Ils sont dans les passages, puis on peut pas en prendre. Y a pas d’ouvrage. Y a pas d’ouvrage! Il dit, ‘garde les deux lignes-là. Dans ça il y a du monde qui a de l’expérience ici. Il dit, on peut pas employer tout le monde. On en prend un par un. Puis les autres, il faut qu’ils s’en retournent. Et puis il dit, c’est pareil partout. C’est dans tous les moulins. Mais, il dit, t’es là. Attends le bonhomme pareil.

Puis, il ne parlait pas français, le bonhomme. Il comprenait pas mal. C’était un vieut Anglais. Un homme à cheveux gris.

M. Caron, il dit :

— Des fois, on sait pas. Lui, il est encore plus grand que moi. Attends le bonhomme.

C’était un grand parlant du premier en tête, tu sais. Il fallait que ce soit lui, M. Caron, qui parle pour moi. Je ne parlais pas anglais, hein?

M. Richardson arrive, puis il me donne la main, puis :

— Bonjour! Comment ça va?

— Ça va bien!

— Tu regardes bien.

Et puis, j’ai dit :

— As-tu de l’ouvrage pour moi?

Il regarde M. Caron. M. Caron part à rire, un gros et grand homme. Puis M. Caron il dit :

— C’est ça qu’elle m’a demandé.

M. Richardson, il dit :

— Les chances sont petites, hein. Il y a pas grand’ chose. Regarde tout ce monde-là dans le passage.

C’était par allées doubles, tu sais, en double rangée.

— Va te changer! On va te trouver quelque chose. Puis il dit à M. Caron :

— Qu’elle aide aux autres à travailler. Puis à moi :

— Ça va te donner…

Ben, ça me donnait une paie de dix-sept piastres par semaine. C’est pas mal, ça! C’était bon dans le temps. On ne gagnait rien.

Et puis, Pepère était chez Angélina puis Arthur. Il savait que j’avais été voir au moulin. Il regardait l’heure. Neuf heures. Dix heures. Quoi c’est qu’elle fait qu’elle ne s’en vient pas, elle? Est-elle partie courir tous les moulins?

Vient midi, midi sonne. Je n’avais pas de lunch, je n’avais rien. Fait que je me suis en allée chez Arthur Bazinet. Ça ne faisait pas loin. Tu sais où sont les Bates? On sortait dans ce temps-là au milieu là. Tu sais, les grands offices étaient là. On sortait tous par cette barrière-là. S’en venir jusqu’à la Lisbon, ça ne faisait pas loin.

Ça fait que j’arrive. Puis je monte l’escalier. Tu sais, quand on est jeune, ça ne nous bâdrait pas de monter des escaliers. J’arrive toute souriante.

— Pour l’amour du Bon Dieu, d’où ce que c’est que tu viens?

— Je viens du moulin. Quand je vais pour ravoir de l’ouvrage, moi, je travaille!

Pepère, il n’aimait pas trop ça. Lui, il ne savait pas comment ce que c’est que je trouvais à avoir de l’ouvrage. Puis là, Bazinet lui avait dit qu’il n’y avait pas de place pour lui au restaurant. L’homme qu’il était supposé d’envoyer, il ne l’avait pas envoyé. Il le gardait. Pepère n’avait pas d’ouvrage. Mais ce n’était pas l’idée. C’était l’idée que je m’étais trouvé de l’ouvrage avant lui, hein.

Toujours, je reste de même, puis je dîne, puis je m’en retourne travailler jusqu’à cinq heures et demie.

Et puis, le lundi, j’ai parlé à M. Caron. J’ai dit :

— Ça fait pas longtemps qu’on est en ville. On est en ville rien que depuis dimanche passé. Mais moi, j’aimerais à travailler icitte aux États-Unis puis si on trouve de la place pour s’installer icitte, j’ai dit, on retournera pas au Canada. Mais, j’ai dit, mon mari, il a aucune expérience. C’est un homme qui travaillait dans les chantiers. Il a aucune expérience dans les moulins. Mais, j’ai dit, c’est un bon travaillant. Il est ben willing de prendre n’importe quoi. N’importe quoi.

Ça fait que M. Caron, il dit :

— Oui.

Là, ben, j’ai continué à rentrer le matin. On rentrait à sept heures moins le quart, jusqu’à midi. Puis d’une heure jusqu’à cinq heures et demie. On travaillait une semaine cinq jours, une semaine quatre jours, au Bates.

Et puis, c’était le jeudi. Tout à coup, un homme, un vieil homme qui distribuait de l’ouvrage, un M. Gagnon, il me cherchait. Il dit :

— C’est-y toi qui étais ici avant, c’est toi, Yvonne Labrecque?

Tu sais, ce n’étaient pas les mêmes mondes qu’il y avait dans les hâlls avant, hein. Ça changeait.

J’ai dit oui.

Il dit :

— J’ai été chercher ton mari à 355 Lisbon. Albert Aubé, c’est ton mari? J’ai été le chercher.

Il y avait un homme qui buvait considérablement. Il n’était pas toujours sur son ouvrage. Puis là, ils étaient tannés de lui. Ils voulaient le laisser aller. Il n’avait pas rentré pour travailler, puis ils en avaient besoin. Puis là, ben, M. Caron avait donné le nom de Pepère au premier boss, à M. Richardson, puis il lui avait dit que Pepère regardait pour trouver du travail. Puis il dit à M. Caron :

— Envoie M. Gagnon. Envoie-le le chercher.

Ce n’était pas loin.

Pepère, il a travaillé une heure. Parce que, dans ce temps-là, il y avait le pouvoir par le canal, par l’eau. Tous les moulins étaient stationnés sur le même pouvoir. Puis il y a quelque chose qui a brisé dans les conduits. Ils ont été obligés d’arrêter les moulins. Fait que Pepère, il a travaillé une heure. Une heure! M. Gagnon venait juste de me dire qu’il avait été chercher Pepère, puis il a fallu s’en retourner chacun chez nous. Tout le monde a sorti pour s’en aller chez eux.

Là, ils ont travaillé vendredi pour la réparation de quoi ce qu’il y avait. Ils ont travaillé vendredi nuit et jour, tu sais, des gros travailleurs, samedi, puis toute la journée du dimanche, espérant pouvoir rétablir ça en forme pour lundi matin.

Lundi matin, c’était réparé. Ça fait qu’on rentrait. On n’avait pas besoin de notice. On rentrait travailler. Mais notre morue de réveille-matin n’a pas sonné.

On était encore chez ma tante Angélina. C’est deux semaines qu’on a été là. La semaine que j’ai rentré, puis une autre semaine. Je le sais parce que là, j’avais une paie. J’attendais d’avoir une paie pour changer de logis. Là, chez Angélina, on couchait dans la chambre d’avant. Elle avait ses deux petites filles dans des petits lits dans sa chambre. Elle avait une grande, grande chambre. Nous, on couchait dans le divan.

Elle avait un réveille-matin. Nous, on n’en avait pas dans nos affaires, hein? Ça fait qu’elle m’avait prêté son réveille-matin, puis on l’avait mis. Mais le réveille-matin ne runnait pas toujours bien. Puis on était jeunes, hein, dans ce temps-là, puis on dormait dur. Puis Pepère a toujours dormi dur, assez que tu aurais pu jeter la maison à terre puis il n’en aurait pas eu connaissance. Puis je crois bien que ce réveille-matin sonnait quand il se feelait pour. Dans tous les cas, le lundi matin, le réveille-matin n’avait pas sonné.

Je me réveille, il était sept heures et quart. Il fallait rentrer pour sept heures moins le quart. Je pousse Pepère puis là, je le réveille. Je dis :

— Faut aller au moulin aujourd’hui. Lève-toi. Prépare-toi puis rentre à ton ouvrage quand même que t’es en retard.

Dans ce temps-là, on n’avait pas besoin de carte pour passer la barrière. On passait à l’office, puis on s’en allait à nos rooms.

Toujours moi, je m’habille aussi vite que je peux. Et puis, je cours, je m’en vais travailler. Mais même moi, j’ai rentré plus tard que Pepère. Parce que moi, il fallait que je monte jusqu’au cinquième étage. Tu sais, monter les escaliers jusqu’au cinquième étage. Lui, il travaillait au quatrième.

Moi, ben, ils savaient que j’étais toujours en temps. Puis je n’avais pas de machine à ma disposition. Je ne faisais rien qu’aider. Je n’étais rien qu’une aide. Mais lui, l’ouvrage que c’est qu’il avait, c’est lui qui distribuait les gros billots de coton avec des grandes boîtes pour mettre sur chaque machine pour quand c’était la doff. On appelait ça doff quand il fallait changer les bobines, mettre les vides puis enlever les pleines. Mais il était en retard. Puis l’autre, l’ivrogne qui était un vieux travaillant, était rentré ce matin-là puis le boss l’avait repris. Pepère n’a pas pu après ça ravoir l’ouvrage. Oh, il était découragé!

— Allons-nous-en en Canada! J’aurai ben de l’ouvrage dans le bois!

— Non. On se découragera pas de même. J’ai dit, moi, la vie du Canada, j’ai dit, j’en veux pas dans les coins où ce qu’on restait. J’ai dit, pareil comme plusieurs disaient : On vit entre le pain et la viande.

Tu sais, c’étaient des terres nouvelles. Il n’y avait pas d’argent. Fallait qu’ils vendent le bois debout, d’avance, avant de l’avoir fait, pour des grosses compagnies. Ils vendaient ça pour des riens. Il fallait, tu sais, qu’ils fassent couper ce bois-là, puis le descendre pour le mettre sur le train avant de pouvoir toucher leurs argents. C’était la misère noire, ni plus ni moins.

Puis moi, je ne voulais plus de tout ça. Je n’en voulais pas! Puis je savais que si j’avais retourné en Canada, j’aurais pu faire l’école. Parce que le curé, quand je me suis mariée, il voulait absolument que je reprenne l’école. Mais j’ai dit non. J’ai dit :

— Quand je serai mariée, mon mari me fera vivre.

Et puis, la sœur du curé était mariée avec un nommé Corriveau, puis elle avait besoin d’une servante. J’aurais pu faire ça. J’avais travaillé dans des maisons. Mais c’était de la grosse ouvrage, vois-tu. À aller relever des femmes que c’est qui avaient des bébés, puis prendre soin de toute la maison. Puis plus souvent qu’autrement, ç’avaient même pas un moulin à laver. Fallait laver à la planche, puis étendre sur le bord des clôtures. Tu sais, c’était dur. J’aimais mieux la ville. Puis j’étais assez habituée à la ville, à Lewiston. Je m’ennuyais à Saint-Cyprien. C’est pour ça que je n’ai pas voulu rester en Canada. J’ai dit à Pepère :

— J’ai pas envie de passer plus de temps là!

C’est là que Pepère a rentré pour travailler pour une bakery. Il était comme un helpeur sur la livraison des produits de bakery, pour Lepage Bakery. C’était le vieux M. Lepage qui avait ça. Et puis il avait un truck. C’était le petit Giguère qui runnait le truck. C’était parent de la famille Lepage. Il était orphelin. C’était un bon petit gars. Puis, après ça, Pepère a rentré dans la bakery. Il enfournait le pain, il le sortait. Il aidait ceux qui travaillaient dans la préparation des beignets et puis de différentes affaires. Il avait treize piastres par semaine.

Puis là, on était en chambre. On ne restait plus chez Angélina. Aussitôt que j’ai eu une paie, on s’est pris une chambre. On a été chez Angélina à peu près une semaine et demie. Il ne nous ont pas chargé rien, par exemple. Et puis, je m’étais arrivée à me trouver une paie complète, ça fait qu’on s’est pris une chambre de l’autre côté de la rue Lisbon.

On a resté là rien qu’une semaine. C’était sale. Sale sur les planchers. On n’osait pas mettre les genoux à terre. Ça fait qu’on a été dans un gros bloc quasiment en face de la Birch. Le docteur Morin restait en bas, puis lui puis le docteur Ladouceur avaient leurs appartements là. Il y avait un superior qui louait des chambres. La toilette, la chambre de bains, était au bout du passage pour toutes ces chambres-là. Mais là-là, ce n’était pas pire, par exemple.

Puis après ça, il est venu une autre chambre, plus haut, à 308 Lisbon, en haut d’une bakery. C’était une fille qui venait chez ma tante, ma demi tante, puis elle connaissait mes autres tantes aussi, parce qu’elle était d’Auburn. Une petite Caron. Puis elle chambrait là.

Il n’y avait pas d’électricité dans les chambres. Il fallait éclairer avec des lampes. Mais c’était rien que trois piastres et vingt-cinq par semaine, puis on avait une bonne chambre. On pouvait voyager dans la maison. Mais la toilette était dans le passage. Fallait sortir, traverser toute la cuisine pour aller dans la toilette.

Puis la maison de pension était de l’autre côté de la rue à 313 Lisbon. C’était chez une dame Renaud. Elle donnait trois repas à qui voulait aller pensionner là. Elle n’avait pas de place à loger les pensionnaires. Elle ne faisait rien que servir des repas. On sortait du moulin le midi. On avait une heure. On venait, on dînait, on retournait travailler. On sortait à cinq heures et demie le soir. On revenait à la maison de pension, puis on prenait notre souper. Notre souper fini, chacun s’en allait à leurs appartements. Puis Mme Renaud nous donnait le privilège que, comme moi par exemple, un repas que tu manquais, t’avais rien qu’à amener ton ami ou ton mari le soir. J’avais manqué un repas, je pouvais le remplacer par un autre. C’était l’avantage, hein? On avait des avantages.

Puis dans ce temps-là, Pepère a commencé à travailler pour Arthur Bazinet dans son restaurant. Là ben, Pepère avait ses repas au restaurant. Puis moi, j’avais mes repas pour sept jours par semaine pour cinq piastres par semaine. Ce n’était pas cher. Mais on ne gagnait pas grand ’chose—seize, dix-sept, dix-huit, dix-neuf piastres. C’était assez à payer notre appartement, puis vivre.

C’est là que j’étais obligée d’arrêter de travailler. J’ai commencé à être en famille, puis je ne pouvais pas supporter la senteur du moulin.